Based on the bank’s social awareness and on its understanding of the importance of environmentally sustainable policy, Bank Hapoalim has formulated a comprehensive and systematic environmental policy. In 2012, the bank completed the certification process for its environmental management system, which completely reflect the bank`s environmental policy, in accordance with international standard ISO 14001.
Because of their inherent nature, banking products have limited direct environmental effect, seeing as the activities involved are primarily held in offices and the product supplied by the bank to its clients is banking services. Nevertheless, Bank Hapoalim seeks to limit these effects.
In the environmental section of the report we relate to our environmental resource management approach (such as paperand energy) as well as to waste management (such as paper, batteries, transport emissions etc.) which comprise the bulk of Bank Hapoalim's direct effect on the environment. We also provide broad consideration of public environmental awareness, environmental compliance and environmental effects of the banking products.
Implementation of the sustainability and CSR program, in view of the its founding principles as described in the report, helped the bank reach significant achievements at all levels of activity. Following are a few examples of the bank's achievements in 2015:
- Cumulative savings of 8,088 tons of paper (equivalent to prevention of cutting of approximately 123,000 trees) over the years 2007 -2015.
- In the last eight years, the bank installed 221 eco-efficient air conditioning systems with variable refrigerant flow (VRF).
- Cumulative 11,139 tons of paper were collected and transferred to recycling plants over the years 2007 -2015, out of which 700 in 2015.
- Cumulative 82,900 Fluorescent light bulbs were collected for responsible treatment by the Government Environmental Services Company over the years 2006 -2015, out of which 2,680 in 2015.
- The bank’s total carbon footprint measured in 2015 was 61,511 tons CO2 equivalent (CO2e), a decrease of 12.9% from 2014.
- Power consumption of the bank in 2013 was 90,616,904 KwH, decrease of 3.19% from 2012.
Bank Hapoalim environmental policy