Based on the bank’s social awareness and on its understanding of the importance of environmentally sustainable policy, Bank Hapoalim has formulated a comprehensive and systematic environmental policy. In 2012, the bank completed the certification process for its environmental management system, which completely reflect the bank`s environmental policy, in accordance with international standard ISO 14001.
Because of their inherent nature, banking products have limited direct environmental effect, seeing as the activities involved are primarily held in offices and the product supplied by the bank to its clients is banking services. Nevertheless, Bank Hapoalim seeks to limit these effects.
In the environmental section of the report we relate to our environmental resource management approach (such as paperand energy) as well as to waste management (such as paper, batteries, transport emissions etc.) which comprise the bulk of Bank Hapoalim's direct effect on the environment. We also provide broad consideration of public environmental awareness, environmental compliance and environmental effects of the banking products.
Implementation of the sustainability and CSR program, in view of the its founding principles as described in the report, helped the bank reach significant achievements at all levels of activity. Following are a few examples of the bank's achievements in 2015:
- Cumulative savings in paper consumption, measured since 2007 (the baseline year), reached 9,017 tons. This figure is equivalent to preventing approximately 138,000 trees from being cut down for the paper industry.
- In the last nine years, the bank installed 236 eco-efficient air conditioning systems with variable refrigerant flow (VRF).
- In 2016 9.3 tons of paper were collected and transferred to recycling plants. Annual savings in paper consumption (tons) were 42 tons of paper.
- The bank’s total carbon footprint measured in 2016 was 61,082 tons CO2 equivalent (CO2e), a decrease of 0.7% from 2015.
- Power consumption of the bank in 2016 was 86,388,184 KwH.
Bank Hapoalim environmental policy